Orthodontic Treatment for Teens
Orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign® are predictable, versatile, and successful ways to straighten teeth and correct bite problems for teens.
Can teens benefit from orthodontic treatment?
Teens can benefit from orthodontic treatment by the improved esthetic outcome they receive from their new smile. Straightened teeth and a healthy bite can help resolve difficulties with biting, chewing, and/or articulating clearly. Straight teeth and a healthy bite can also contribute to a reduction in tooth decay, decreased likelihood of developing periodontal disease, decreased likelihood of tooth injury, and reduction in abnormal tooth wear.
What are the main orthodontic treatment options for teens?
Orthodontic treatment has become more convenient. There are a range of fixed and removable orthodontic devices depending on one’s bite. The main orthodontic treatment options for teens include:
- Braces – Braces are comprised of brackets that are affixed to each individual tooth with an archwire that connects the brackets. The brackets are usually metal, ceramic, or a clear synthetic material.
- Invisalign® – Invisalign® aligners are clear trays that are worn for the recommended amount of time each day. Not all patients are candidates for Invisalign®.
- Expanders – Expanders can help widen your teenager's palate and/or jaw to create more space for your child’s teeth. This can help resolve crowding problems. It can also help your orthodontist optimize their bite without removing teeth or jaw surgery.
- Functional Appliances – Functional appliances include a group of orthodontic appliances that can aid in promoting proper jaw growth to ensure the top and bottom jaw grow in more optimal alignment.
- Retainers – Wearing your retainer as prescribed by your orthodontist is very important, and ensures that your teeth will maintain their proper position after active treatment is complete.
If you have questions about orthodontic treatment for teens, please feel free to contact our office!